This 1-2-3 Mahogany short ribs recipe will soon become one of your favorite dishes to make. Teriyaki sauce and prune juice may seem an odd combination, but they’re all you need to produce tasty, meaty short ribs. In the 1990s, Rozanne Gold’s recipe for Mahogany Short Ribs produced this taste combo.
Health Benefits of the Sweet and Savory Mahogany Short Ribs Ingredients
- 3 pounds of English-style bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 cup prune juice
- 1 cup non-sweet teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, avocado oil, or cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using salt and pepper, season the ribs. In a Dutch oven or large ovenproof pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the ribs in batches if required until they are browned on both sides, about 8–10 minutes. Place the ribs on a platter.
- Remove the fat from the saucepan. 1 1/2 cups water, prune juice, and teriyaki sauce Return the ribs to the saucepan and bring them to a simmer. Cover the saucepan, place it in the oven, and braise for 2–3 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender and falls off the bone.
- Place the ribs on a serving plate. On the burner, bring the liquid in the saucepan to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 12–15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to a glaze. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and then pour over the ribs.