There’s nothing like a nice, melty grilled cheese sandwich for comfort. The combination of grilled cheese and delicious soup is a match made in heaven. It’s a simple lunch meal that will please even the pickiest diners.
A grilled cheese sandwich is a heated sandwich made with bread and one or more types of cheese. Depending on the location and personal desire, the sandwich is heated in a variety of ways. Cooking on a griddle, frying in a pan, or making sandwiches on a panini grill or sandwich toaster are all common techniques.
In this recipe, I’ll teach you how to make a 10X crispier and more flavorful grilled cheese sandwich. This sandwich is quite simple to prepare; if I can do it, so can you. Let’s get started:
- 2 slices sandwich loaf
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or 4 slices)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or butter
- Spread mayonnaise over the top side of each slice of bread on a cutting board; this is essential for a golden, delightful crunch. Prep a small skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium heat.
- Half of the butter should be slid in or the frying oil should be poured in. When the cheese has melted, lay 1 slice of bread in the skillet, mayonnaise side down; top with cheese; season with pepper.
- Place the second slice of bread, mayonnaise side up, on top of the first. Turn sandwich and cook in skillet with remaining butter until the underside is golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Gently press down on the sandwich to help it brown evenly and melt the cheese—do not shatter it.
- Cook until the cheese has melted and the second side is golden brown. Eat as soon as possible, especially with soup.